Tuesday, October 16, 2007
a sickness, a death and a fire
Yes, these are all excuses for not going to work....but really, in our little world here, they all came true. All in the space of the last 9 days. Last Monday, while toiling away at my hourly day job, I suddenly came down with feverish, stomach achiness and went home early. While home napping, my mother called to say my Grandma had passed on to the mysterious realm of whatever happens after earth (she had a fantastic life, 97! and it was a bit of a relief..she'd been so very very sick for the last year and a half. she's happier now...i'm sure.) So, my little 9 year old and I went down to visit my humongous family, which was nice. We then tried to come home. The fun began somewhere around New Jersey, where my daughter got real sick. It turns out, my sisters kids were sick while we were all visiting, but they were so excited to see us, they would not stay condemned to their rooms. She was so miserable on the drive back we decided to call it a day and get well before arriving back home (the husband is so busy right now, getting sick would be disasterous). After holding back her long hair while she vomited so so much, a bit of laundry (in a somewhat sketchy laundromat in the scenic garden state) and a spontaneous haircut in the parking lot, she was feeling better (I a bit worse for the wear). This, however, delayed our return home by a few days, which in turn delayed our pending etsy shop orders, which in further turn made me very pooped. SO, with two days vacuming and cleaning the house from top to bottom (to assure we were completely decontaminated..argh!) I was finally able to sit down to my machine and sew.
Just when I felt I was catching up, having missed lots of the hourly day job and lots of sewing time, I sewed until 1:30 in the am (not unusual here), packaged up some bags for shipping then collapsed in bed, next to the sleeping husband. When what to my wondering ears should I hear but the fire alarm. Now, we live in a giant converted mill building, so when I hear the fire alarm I usually get a little het up. And, at 2 in the morning, hearing that nerve wracking sound, one's internal instinct tends to take over and somehow manages to get the girl, the husband, sweatshirts, pants, blankets and the cell phone and get the hill out of the building. As it turns out, it wasn't a false alarm. But, the fire was small and contained and produced more smoke than would seem to come from a fan short-circuiting on the desk of a lawyers office. But, it meant from 2am to 4am we were standing in the parking lot with a slew of shivering kids and a bunch of punch-drunk adults. Two hours of blissful sleep finally came around 4:20-ish when we finally settled everyone back in bed then arose to go again to the hourly job, which when you only sleep for 2 hours, begins very early.
Alas, my story ends with a well child, a tired mom, a still at work husband, a cozy couch, a warm laptop, Fraulein Maria and green walnut tea. So, it's bed now...goodnight.